What to do in a Pet Bird Emergency?
CALL US at (03) 9808 9011 and speak with one of our nurses on duty or listen to the recorded announcement.
The recording will give you information about out-of-hours Pet Bird Emergency care if the Melbourne Bird clinic is closed or contact your nearest 24hr emergency hospital.
The avian nurse will do a preliminary assessment of the bird veterinary emergency.
The avian emergency is often treated at a bird vet as follows:
- The Pet Bird Emergency patient is often placed in a heated incubator after the assessment
- Supplementary oxygen is made available, especially if the Bird Emergency is in respiratory distress.
- Fluid Therapy is administered to maintain hydration and blood pressure
- Caloric nutrition is administered via a crop feed.
- Appropriate medication/pain relief is given
- Close monitoring of the patient’s condition by one of the nurses
- Depending on the nature of the injury or illness, surgery, diagnostic tests or general anesthesia may be necessary
If you live at some distance from our clinic, please call your local vet for advice and instructions. Your local vet is welcome to give our clinic a call if they require information the emergency care in birds.
Our normal clinic hours are 9 am- 6 pm Mondays to Thursdays, 9 am-5.30 pm Fridays, 9 am-12 pm on Saturdays, and 10 am -12 pm on Sundays.